If you love to add that last dollop of rich cream to your homemade pies and cakes before serving…if you love to serve fresh berries with cream on top or cereals with a dollop of cream but hate to deal with the “guilt” attack afterwards then “Cashew cream” is the perfect fit.
Cashew cream is rich in monounsaturated fatty acids…the kind that are actually good for keeping your heart and your blood vessels healthy.
Cashew cream is also naturally rich in magnesium which in turn keeps your bones, teeth, muscles and nervous system optimally healthy. You won’t need to add sweetener if you don’t want as quality cashews have natural hint of sweetness that makes pure cashew cream quite pleasant on its own.
Here’s the basic recipe for this perfect dessert topper:
- 1 cup cashews of cashew butter
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup honey or agave nectar (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add more water if needed. Transfer sweet cashew cream to a glass jar, cap the jar with a lid, and chill in the refrigerator for at least a couple of hours before using.
- Sweet cashew cream will stay fresh in a sealed jar in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Note: If you prefer a thick cream, use less water and pause the blender to give the ingredients a good mix/swirl one or more times
This is a great non-dairy alternative to add to beverages of your choice. Combine with tea for instance, or use as a nut milk base in a smoothie. Get creative and make a flavored beverage with it, or use it in recipes that call for milk. This yummy cream can be used successfully in savory dishes as well as sweet dishes.
If you only need a serving for one or two persons simply cut this recipe in half, and for more servings, double, even triple it. Feel free to experiment using other nuts (almonds, brazil nuts), or sunflower or pumpkin seeds or you could spice this basic recipe up with ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon or another one of your favorite flavors for different and flavorful taste adventures.
CASHEW CREAM BARS
1 cup cashews
1 cup walnuts
1 1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 cup dates
Place cashews and walnuts in a food processor and blend until crumbly. Add dates, salt and 3/4 cup of coconut, blend for a minute or so.
Press the mixture down into a small glass dish. Then sprinkle the remaining coconut over the oil-topped batter and place in refrigerator. Once chilled, cut into bars. Could also serve like a dessert with fresh berries and cashew cream.
For more exciting and healthy raw dessert recipes and treats visit: